- Use Directly - Ready for use direct from the bag
- Typical coverage – 0.45m2 at a compacted 25mm thickness
- Products sets depending on the weather, cold weather will delay the setting time.
Rugby Black Bitumen Macadam can be used in a variety of applications, including driveway repairs, repairing pathways and minor road repairs.
Do not store in temperatures below 0°C. Rugby® Black Bitumen Macadam must be stored in frost-proof conditions. Do not apply if rain is forecast. In cold weather the Macadam should be kept in a warm place prior to laying.
Health and safety
- Contact with Macadam may cause irritation, dermatitis or burns.
- Avoid eye and skin contact by wearing suitable eye protection, clothing and gloves.
- On contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of clean water.
- Seek medical advice after eye contact.
- After contact with skin, wash immediately with soap and water.
- Contaminated clothing should not be allowed to come into contact with the skin.
- Keep out of reach of children.
On top of paving stones, aggregates or concretes:
- Ensure surface to be covered is weed and grass free. Use a proprietary weed killer if necessary. Sweep off all loose material and dust. For a neater finish lay a stone or wood edging at the side of path or driveway.
- If surface is smooth, such as concrete or polished macadam, a bitumen emulsion primer should be used. Pour it directly from the container and brush in a thin continuous coating. Leave the primer to set for approximately 10 minutes.
- Tip out sacks of Bitumen Macadam onto the surface. If material has compacted slightly in the bag, break down using the ball of your foot. Rake out carefully until the surface is covered to a depth of 30-35mm before compaction. Use a straight edged piece of wood across the surface to ensure an even level.
- Compact with a roller. Continue to roll in different directions until the Bitumen Macadam is 25mm thick. Alternatively a vibrating plate with plenty of water to prevent the material sticking is an alternative.
The surface can now be used, but care should be taken with heavy loads etc, until the surface has set hard.
For patch repair purposes only. Not to be used for complete driveways.
From bare earth upwards:
- Mark out the area to be surfaced. Remove soil to a depth of 100mm. If clay soil increase depth to 150mm.
- Lay a firm foundation of hardcore, clinker or ashes to a depth of 25mm below the intended level. When using broken hardcore, average size of material should not exceed 75mm.
- Compact material thoroughly. For a neater finish, lay a stone or wood edging at the side of the path or driveway taking care to fill any voids.
- Cover material with a 25mm layer of Black Bitumen Macadam. Compact this thoroughly. Leave to set hard for 36 hours.
- Spread a second layer 25mm and roll the surface thoroughly with a heavy roller. This construction will take cars, vans etc.
For patching potholes only or repairing existing Macadam surfaces:
- Cut the pothole to vertical sides with a spade and remove all loose debris.
- Apply bitumen emulsion as an effective bonding agent to the bottom and sides of the hole. Wait for approximately 10 minutes.
- Place the Bitumen Macadam in the hole and compact using a roller or the back of the spade. Deep holes should be filled in layers.
- When filling leave the Macadam slightly proud in the centre.
- Surface can now be used, but care should be taken with heavy loads until the surface is set hard.
CEMEX UK Cement Ltd cannot be held responsible where workmanship has not been carried out in accordance with good practice.