15th May 2012: CEMEX UK has won 12 awards at this year's prestigious RoSPA Occupational Health and Safety Awards. The awards were given for its outstanding approach to the prevention of accidents and ill-health.
The awards included 2 President's Awards (10 -14 consecutive gold awards), 6 Gold awards, one sector winner and two sector commended awards. These were given at the Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, at the National Exhibition Centre.
The majority of RoSPA's awards are non-competitive, marking achievement at merit, bronze, silver and gold levels. Organisations maintaining high standards can win gold medals, president's awards and orders of distinction.
Competitive awards are presented in more than 20 sectors, and specialist awards recognise excellence in specific areas, such as the management of occupational road risk.
This year's CEMEX UK awards:
- Central Readymix - Mines and Quarries Sector Award, Winner
- Aggregates South East - Mines and Quarries Sector Award, Commended
- Marine - Transport, Storage & Distribution Sector Award, Commended
- Ash - President's Award
- South Ferriby Cement Works - President's Award
- Materials Scotland - Gold Medal
- Northern Readymix - Gold Medal
- Rail Products - Gold
- Aggregates East - Gold
- Aggregates Midlands - Gold
- Aggregates South West & Wales - Gold
- Dove Holes Quarry - Silver
Dating back to 1956, the RoSPA Occupational Health and Safety Awards scheme is the largest and longest-running programme of its kind in the UK. It recognises commitment to accident and ill health prevention and is open to businesses and organisations of all types and sizes from across the UK and overseas. The scheme does not just look at accident records, but also entrants' overarching health and safety management systems, including important practices such as strong leadership and workforce involvement.