CEMEX UK, building materials supplier, has achieved the prestigious Carbon Trust Standard across all its GB operations for measuring and reducing its carbon emissions by over 36% between January 2007 and December 2009.
The Carbon Trust Standard is the world's first award that recognises organisations for real carbon reduction. Based on a rigorous, independent assessment, it certifies that organisations have measured, managed and reduced their carbon emissions across their own operations, and are committed to reducing them year on year.
CEMEX UK has recorded energy, CO2, waste and water for every site through the company's own software system, 'Environmental Footprint Tracker' and measures them through certified management systems to benchmark best practice and set reduction targets. This process is applied not only to the manufacture of the building materials but includes CEMEX's fleet of vehicles to give holistic data about the company.
A vital element in the reduction of carbon emissions by CEMEX is the use of alternative fuels to part-replace fossil fuels in the production of cement. Usage of alternative fuels has been increased by 30% during 2008 and 2009.
A further contributor in reducing emissions is the use of by-products from other industries, such as fly-ash from power stations. As a component of factory-blended cements, this can lower the embodied CO2 of a concrete mix by up to 40%. The substitution rate has been increased by almost 50% over two years.
Andy Spencer, Sustainability Director for CEMEX UK comments "We are delighted to have achieved the Carbon Trust Standard. It is a highly respected standard and is an effective way of demonstrating and communicating to our customers, suppliers, colleagues and other stakeholders that we have and will continue to take action on climate change.
"We are one of the UK's largest building materials companies and our products are part of the fabric of a more sustainable Britain. As well as the Carbon Trust Standard we are also the first cement company in the world to be able to use the Carbon Trust's Carbon Reduction Label, which quantifies the carbon footprint of our bagged cement products. Cutting carbon is a priority for our business and our vision is of a successful, more sustainable CEMEX that makes a positive contribution to people and the environment."
Harry Morrison, General Manager for the Carbon Trust Standard Company said "Achieving the Carbon Trust Standard shows that CEMEX UK is taking serious and credible steps to manage and reduce their carbon footprint. We congratulate CEMEX UK on their achievement of the Carbon Trust Standard and commend their commitment to genuinely measure, manage and reduce their carbon emissions on both a corporate and on a product level."
Notes to Editors:
- For further information on CEMEX please contact Elizabeth Young t. 01932 583214 e. email@example.com. For Carbon Trust Standard, Maria Stefanova t. 020 7832 4828 e. CarbonTrustStandardPR@carbontrust.co.uk
- CEMEX is a global building materials company that provides high-quality products and reliable service to customers and communities in more than 50 countries throughout the world
- In the UK, as well as ready mixed concrete, cement and aggregates, CEMEX also produces asphalt, and has a significant share of the roof tile, rail sleepers, concrete-block paving, and concrete-block segments. CEMEX has a national supply network in the UK to ensure that quality building materials are available to customers locally. For more information, see www.CEMEX.co.uk or www.CEMEX.com
The Carbon Trust Standard
- All businesses and organisations, both in the UK and internationally, are eligible to apply for the Carbon Trust Standard including FTSEs, mid caps, SMEs and public sector organisations. Organisations that are awarded the Carbon Trust Standard hold it for a two year period and to maintain the certification they must reapply and demonstrate that they have continued to make year-on-year reductions in their carbon emissions
- Organisations wanting information about getting the Carbon Trust Standard can call: 0800 019 1443 or visit www.carbontruststandard.com
- Organisations that are certified with the Carbon Trust Standard are listed at www.carbontruststandard.com/UsingtheStandard/CurrentStandardBearers.aspx
- Total carbon footprint certified by the Carbon Trust Standard is now nearly 32 million tonnes of CO2e. This is equivalent to 9% of the total carbon footprint of UK businesses and transport
- Through a commitment to continually reducing their carbon footprint, Carbon Trust Standard achievers have together cut their emissions by 2.1 million tonnes of CO2 and have saved the equivalent of £72 million associated with reductions in gas, electricity and fuel use
- Carbon Trust Standard achievers are genuinely leading the way in real carbon reduction and demonstrating that it is possible to de-carbonise your business year on year and still be successful
About The Carbon Trust
The Carbon Trust is a not-for-profit company with the mission to accelerate the move to a low carbon economy, providing specialist support to business and the public sector to help cut carbon emissions, save energy and commercialise low carbon technologies. By stimulating low carbon action we contribute to key UK goals of lower carbon emissions, the development of low carbon businesses, increased energy security and associated jobs.
We help to cut carbon emissions now by
- Providing specialist advice and finance to help organisations cut carbon
- Setting standards for carbon reduction
We reduce potential future carbon emissions by
- Opening markets for low carbon technologies
- Leading industry collaborations to commercialise technologies
- Investing in early stage low carbon companies