CEMEX UK, building materials supplier, has launched a new rapid-hardening, controlled set concrete which allows contractors to strip formwork much earlier than they could using traditional concrete. This is the first time this type of concrete is available in the UK and is branded, Promptis.
The new concrete admixture system makes it possible to achieve an accelerated strength of 4 MPa after just four hours. But, as important the concrete is designed to maintain its initial flow for at least 90 minutes, giving much higher utilisation of formwork and speeding up construction times.
It is an ideal solution for projects such as road and rail renovation, where the use of Promptis enables possession of the area to be greatly reduced and the transport put back into operation relatively quickly. It is also suitable for precasting where structures can be demoulded and stored just 12 hours after pouring.
The properties of Promptis are the result of a mix of specialised superplasticiser, polymer and accelerator added to concrete that contains 400 – 450 kg per cu metre of cement.
Promptis has been launched globally rather than nationally, as it produces consistent results using a broad variety of cements, available in different countries. In addition there is global market demand, with Promptis suitable for use in both readymix and precast applications.
The product was developed in conjunction with the UK Technical team, by the company’s research and development team based at its Global Centre for Technology and Innovation in Switzerland.
Advantages of Promptis:
- Formwork can be stripped after 6 hours
- Rapid construction programmes are easily achieved
- The concrete is easy to compact and finish
- The stiffening process and strength development begin as soon as the material is finally placed
- Much lower risk of thermal cracking as the cement hydration process occurs more slowly
- Concrete can be fully loaded after 24 hours as strengths of 40N/mm2 are typically achieved
- Design strength achieved in less than 7 days
- Slip form casting times are faster
- Concrete poured in winter achieves the required strength faster to avoid frost damage
Notes to Editors:
- For further information and photographs contact Elizabeth Young t. 01932 583214 e. firstname.lastname@example.org
- CEMEX is a global building materials company that provides high-quality products and reliable service to customers and communities in more than 50 countries throughout the world
- In the UK, as well as ready mixed concrete, cement and aggregates, CEMEX also produces asphalt, and has a significant share of the roof tile, rail sleepers, concrete-block paving, and concrete-block segments. CEMEX has a national supply network in the UK to ensure that quality building materials are available to customers locally. For more information, see www.CEMEX.co.uk or www.CEMEX.com